DALLAS – April 04, 2016 – Epsilon®, a global leader in creating connections between people and brands, today released the Q4 2015 North America Email Trends and Benchmarks report. According to the report, from January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015, 54% of customers in an average email file had at least one open or click in the last twelve months, 19% of which did so in the last three months. Findings from the full report indicate that email is still an effective channel for reaching subscribers but personalization and relevance in the channel is required to consistently engage and activate customers.
The Email Activity Segment Evaluation (EASE), which looks at behavioral segments and the overall performance of an average email file across industry categories, identified file-level trends including:
- Approximately 17% of mature subscribers in an average list, those addresses that have been on a marketer’s file for more than three months, have opened an email or clicked on a link within an email in the last three months.
- 11% of subscribers in an average email file are new, added to a marketer’s file in the past three months, representing an annual decrease from 14% in 2014.
- 68% of new subscribers in an average list have no opens or clicks.
EASE metrics are compiled from more than 622 million non-bounced and opted-in email addresses that were contacted from January 1, 2015 through December 31, 2015 across multiple industries and approximately 100 clients.
“It’s no longer about where and when consumers are interacting with email but rather understanding how and why consumers are engaging,” shared Judy Loschen, Senior Vice President of Digital Analytics at Epsilon. “Through 2015 there were few changes in open rate by device type, with more than 50% of consumers consistently opening emails on a mobile or tablet device. Marketers must now focus on creating individualized experiences in the inbox that engage new subscribers early and drive loyalty with mature subscribers. This requires deep knowledge of the consumer and a personalized approach to marketing.”
Additional key findings from the Q4 2015 North America Email Trends and Benchmarks report include:
Business as Usual (BAU) email trends
The quarterly BAU analysis is compiled from approximately 11 billion emails sent by Epsilon from October 2015 to December 2015 across multiple industries and approximately 150 clients.
- Open rates remained steady at 30.6% but were slightly lower than Q4 2014 (32.2%).
- Click rates at 3.2% showed strong performance but were also slightly lower than Q4 2014 (4.0%).
- Non-Bounce rates saw little movement at 97.1% comparable to Q4 2014 (96.6%)
Triggered message email trends
Triggered message benchmarks are analyzed by quarter from approximately 3.5 billion emails sent by Epsilon from October 2013 to December 2015 across multiple industries. Results track campaigns deployed as a result of an action or trigger such as welcome, abandon shopping cart, thank you and anniversary.
Q4 2015 triggered highlights:
- Triggered messages accounted for 3.5% of total email volume in Q4 2015, 32.2% lower than Q4 2014 (5.2%).
- Triggered open rates were 76.7% higher than BAU in Q4 2015, showing increased performance from the Q4 2014 lift of 46.9% over BAU open rates.
- Triggered click rates were 226.9% higher than BAU click rates, outperforming Q4 2014 triggered click rates, which showed a 138.8% lift over BAU.
For more information and industry-specific benchmarks, the Q4 2015 Email Trends and Benchmark report is available at: http://engage.epsilon.com/Q4-2015-email-trends-benchmarks
Epsilon is a global leader in creating connections between people and brands. An all-encompassing global marketing company, we harness the power of rich data, groundbreaking technologies, engaging creative and transformative ideas to get the results our clients require. Recognized by Ad Age as the #1 World CRM/Direct Marketing Network, #1 U.S. Digital-Agency Network and #1 U.S. Agency from All Disciplines, Epsilon employs over 7,000 associates in 70 offices worldwide. Epsilon is an Alliance Data company. For more information, visit www.epsilon.com, follow us on Twitter @EpsilonMktg or call 1.800.309.0505.