DALLAS – JANUARY 23, 2017 – Epsilon®, a global leader in creating connections between people and brands, today released the Q3 2016 Email Trends and Benchmarks report. The report, which measures emails sent by Epsilon clients in North America, shows a 6% decrease in click rates from Q2 2016, likely driven by a 15% increase in the average number of emails delivered per company. Additional findings show that over the past four quarters mobile and tablet devices have continued to make up the majority of email opens (60%) while email open rates on desktops have remained at 40%.
“A slight decrease in click rates isn’t cause for concern. The email channel is no longer only about driving engagement via clicks and opens, it’s about connecting the customer experience across channels and devices to build deeper relationships with consumers,” shared Judy Loschen, Senior Vice President, Strategic Consulting at Epsilon. “In the year ahead marketers need to couple consumer insights with email’s versatility to create impactful marketing moments and deliver contextually relevant and personalized communications that engage consumers.”
Business as usual methodology and email trends
The quarterly BAU analysis was compiled from 8.8 billion emails sent by approximately 150 Epsilon clients in Q3 (July – September) 2016 across multiple industries.
Key findings from the Q3 2016 report include:
- The Q3 2016 open rates of 34.1% were below Q2 2016 (35.6%) but higher than Q3 2015 (31.0%).
- Click rates for Q3 2016 were lower than Q2 2016 (3.5%) and lower year-over-year (3.5%).
- Non-bounce rates increased slightly to 97.1% from 96.9% in Q2 2016 and are slightly higher than Q3 2015 (96.6%).
Triggered message methodology and email trends
Triggered message benchmarks were analyzed from approximately 3.8 billion emails sent by Epsilon clients from July 2014 to September 2016 across multiple industries. Results track campaigns deployed as a result of a consumer action such as welcome, abandon shopping cart, thank you or confirmation.
Key findings from Q3 2016 triggered message research include:
- Triggered messages accounted for 3.7% of total email volume in Q3 2016, above Q2 2016 (3.0%) and higher than Q3 2015 (3.4%).
- Triggered open rates were 56.1% higher than BAU in Q3 2016, lower than the Q2 2016 lift of 68.0% over BAU.
- Triggered click rates continued to outperform BAU, reporting 143.0% higher but notably lower than Q3 2015, when triggered click rates showed a 228.7% lift over BAU.
For more information and industry-specific benchmarks, the Q3 2016 Email Trends and Benchmark report is available at: http://engage.epsilon.com/Q3-2016-email-trends-benchmarks
Epsilon is a global leader in creating connections between people and brands. An all-encompassing global marketing company, we harness the power of rich data, groundbreaking technologies, engaging creative and transformative ideas to get the results our clients require. Recognized by Ad Age as the #1 World’s Largest CRM/Direct Marketing Network, #1 Largest U.S. Agency from All Disciplines and #1 Largest U.S. Mobile Marketing Agency, Epsilon employs over 7,000 associates in 70 offices worldwide. Epsilon is an Alliance Data company. For more information, visit epsilon.com, follow us on Twitter @EpsilonMktg or call 800 309 0505.